Spent most of the weekend castin’ resin, yo!
So this costume wasn’t supposed to be some super big secret project or anything, but I never really talked about it with anyone aside from my roommates. And now that Anime North is just 4 days away, and the costume is almost finished, and still no one knows what it is, I figure what the hell. Secret cosplay! So if you can guess what it is from these gem thingies, “good for you!”, but SHHHH!
With less than 2 weeks to go to Anime North, and a whole laundry list of things that need to get done, I went out today to get all the stuff I would need to finish up my props this weekend.
Then I was impulsive and instead, bought a bike.
My three part video tutorial is up and live!
Covering everything you need to know about posing in cosplay and getting better photos at a convention, specifically hall photos! Including:
- fabric and research
- attitudes in cosplay
- the foundation 3/4 pose
- posing with a group
- facial expressions
- posing with props
- importance of makeup
I’d consider it a HUGE favor if you guys would share this around. So many cosplayers starting out ask me how to pose, and I’d like this to help everyone who feels clueless in front of a camera.
Everyone should pay close attention to Elemental’s words of wisdom! The lady knows what she is talking about. She is one of my favorite photographers to work with and is responsible for making my 10th Doctor and Wiccan pics look as amazing as they do.
Everyone can learn a lot from her!
In an attempt to get myself more organized (which is clearly a pipe dream), I gifted myself a new sewing case! Isn’t it neat?
Prior to this, most of my equipment was stored in various small tupperwear containers and some plastic bins, and they were a mess. Pins all over the bottom, loose buttons and thread, I could never find the right foot for my machine when I needed it. And while I could have gone to Wal Mart or anywhere really and picked up a decent sewing case, everyone I saw had the same problem: They were all flowery cases that look like some old lady would own.
That is not to say I hate flowery sewing kits, but I personally would not want one of my own. So when I saw this, and saw it was on sale (HALF OFF!!!) I grabbed it. Now I can do all my SUPER MANLY SEWING GRRR!!
Asked by imperativa
Serge is quickly nearing completion. I just have to add the pattern on the shorts, and then make some gloves and socks, and it should be ready to go. I already have the wig, made years ago by Katie Bair, but after some time in storage, it seems it may need a bit of fixing up before hand.
And the necklace/pendant thingy is nearly done as well, I just don’t have any decent pics of it.
Once all that is done, I will probably be working on the Mastermune, but that is only once I get some of my other costumes a little more completed.
And thanks again for the <3s for Jack. I really love wearing it, but I cannot say I enjoy the whole barefoot in winter thing. Walking on ice with bare feet hurts!
I have other things being worked on, but they are all in such a state that progress pics wouldn’t be worth showing.
So here is a shot of my slightly less than half finished Serge vest. Clearly, still have a lot to do. left side needs to be sewn in place, as does the back. I need to add in the side slashes, and while I do like my spidey belt, it may have to be replaced before I wear this one out.
I’m not going the maille route for this as this costume is mostly for comfort purposes. Something to wear to picnics and maybe on Sundays at cons, so I didn’t want to spend months working on pvc maille, when I have other, more labor intensive projects that I want to focus on right now.
So, I said I would be showing all my progress and step by step for my Bunker costume, and I probably will still do that, buuuuuuuuuut, the fabric for Bunker has been delayed, so that won’t be happening right away. On the positive side the fabric for Wiccan has arrived!
Now, I have worn Wiccan before, and it was very well received by those who knew I wasn’t supposed to be Vincent Valentine. However, I did not make that costume, it was commissioned. And while I do love certain aspects of the costume, namely the cape and the side panels, I was never too thrilled with the excessive shininess of it. At times, it kind of looked like I was wearing a trash bag. It was also a bit too baggy around the knees and lower leg area.
Those issues, and partly my wanting to take more pride in my own work, has lead me to wanting to redo the costume, and now that I am more confident in my sewing abilities, I am going for it.
The pics above are the pattern I altered for the bodysuit. I will be making piping from the same fabric to add in between where these pieces join up to make up all those raised lines in Wiccan’s costume. Not pictured yet, because they aren’t patterned out yet, are the cowl/mask/balaclava thing he wears, the gloves, or the foot part. Those are still being measured out, and then will have to be mocked up to ensure they fit right. Also note that once again the poor lighting in my dim apartment has struck again, making the fabric look like a matte black. The fabrics actual color is a very dark navy, and the right side of it has a slight shine to it. which I think matches the source material quite well.
Oh and I won’t be remaking the cape since the commissioned one is far better than anything I can do and it is just so pretty.